Our History


The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc. (NPHC) was established during an age when racial segregation and disenfranchisement plagued African Americans.  On May 10, 1930, on the campus of Howard University, in Washington DC, the National Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent organization with the following charter members: Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. joined the Council.


In 1937, the NPHC was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois. That year, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. joined the Council.  In 1997, Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. joined the Council and completed its’ list of members. 


The primary purpose and focus of each member organizations is to promote camaraderie and academic excellence for its members and provide service to the communities they serve. Each member promotes community awareness and action through educational, economic, and cultural service activities.


In the summer of 1996, the inception of Broward Council begun with Annette Robinson, Delta Upsilon Sigma Chapter member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. spearheaded a planning committee. 


On November 16, 1996, a formal planning session was convened with assistance from David Scruggs, a member of the Pompano Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. and Chester Fair, a member of Omega Phi Psi Fraternity, Inc. and at the time current president of the Miami-Dade County Council of the NPHC.


By March 1997, the Council’s first constitution and by-laws were drafted and accepted which were proofed and formatted by Sylvester Robinson, Eta Nu Chapter member of Omega Phi Psi Fraternity, Inc. and Karen Blount, Delta Eta Zeta Chapter member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. At that time, 13 chapters of the Divine 9 located throughout Broward County were represented.


In April 1997, a charter was submitted to the National Executive Board of the NPHC.  On October 11, 1997, the Broward County Council received its official charter at the National Conference in Mobile, Alabama through its interim president, Thaddeus Hamilton of the Fort Lauderdale Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.


Currently, the Council boasts membership of 22 local chapters of the Divine 9.  

Annual events held by the Broward Council include the Founder's Day Celebration and the Annual Greek Cookout.